IPB

Sveikas, svety! ( Prisijungti | Užsiregistruoti )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vilnius MTG Community, Foreigner's question
Vetur
rašyti 2015-01-13 12:46
Parašyta: #1

;

Grupė: Nariai

Hello everyone,

I am not Lithuanian, but I have been living in Vilnius for a couple of years now, studying and working. Lately I have also been interested in MTG, and while I more or less know how to play, I don't have any cards and only played against AI. I wanted to ask you guys about entry to the MTG world in general and into the community here in Vilnius in specific. I hope you don't mind the English language and that this topic is alright to open smile.gif

Community
  • How active / large is the community?
  • What formats are most common here? Do you play commander?
  • Is the community varied in terms of playstyle (as in, do most people tend to play the same colour and such)
  • What are the usual prices and prizes for events? How many people usually participate?

General
  • How much would you say it costs to start playing?
  • Is it an expensive game?
  • Is it better to buy cards in Lithuania, or to order online? What about selling cards?

Thanks a lot for your help smile.gif

Phi
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sielagaudys
rašyti 2015-01-13 13:09
Parašyta: #2

The Banbringer

Grupė: Moderatoriai
Iš kur: Vilnius

Hello!
I do hope someone will take time to answer your questions since I can't right now smile.gif I could try to explain some of what's happening in Vilnius if you were to visit local event on Thursday (Legacy) or Friday (Standard FNM) evening.

Quick rundown:
Community:
1) depends on format. standard events up to 30 players, modern up to 25, legacy 8-16. Drafts 8-16+.
2) Standard, then Modern and draft, then Legacy. Commander is almost dead right now.
3) I'd say yes. Although most people don't like combo and control decks very much.
4) for working day events - 2 EUR entry fee, 1 booster per 2 players in prizes.

General:
1) Which format do you choose to play? How often/actively? For fun or competitively?
2) Look above. May vary a lot. In general - yes, it is an expensive hobby.
3) Sometimes locally, sometimes online smile.gif Some cards you simply can't get here. Online is usually cheaper, but it adds waiting time and shipping expenses though.

--------------------
Mano mainai
Mano pirkinukai
Anot Alekso (2016), „The only thing I'm obssesed with more than deck pimping is my dog.“
Level 2 Judge. Want to become a Judge? Have any MtG/tournament-related questions? Don't hesitate to message me!
+Quote Post
Robke
rašyti 2015-01-13 13:58
Parašyta: #3

It's really good time to start playing Magic: there will be a pre-release of new set this Saturday. Come and have fun smile.gif
Register here.

--------------------
The chase is better than the catch.
+Quote Post
ClockworkAlice
rašyti 2015-01-13 13:58
Parašyta: #4

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Vilnius' MTG community isn't very large, but our events tend to have ~10-20 players each time. Of course, the number of active players is bigger than that. We get around ~50–60 people on Prereleases. Oh yes, Prereleases. One is coming this Saturday, please come! Prerelease is a Magic equivalent of Christmas and it's possibly the most newbie-friendly tournament. More info and preregistration here: http://www.magicthegathering.lt/magic/disk...?showtopic=9198 It's €30, but costs €25 with preregistration.

We have Booster Draft on Mondays, Modern every other Thursday, Legacy every another Thursday and Standard FNM on Fridays, also sometimes we have bigger tournaments on Saturdays. At the moment the most popular format seems to be Standard, though others also have their share of players.
There is quite a number of Commander players, but Commander events aren't being hosted, and at the moment we don't have a permanent location so it's hard to find a place for more casual gaming.
I'd say our community is quite varied in terms of playstyle, as people are choosing different formats and different strategies - there are aggro players, midrangers, control freaks and combo lovers (though aggro and midrange tends to get a little bit more love than the other two). Also I'd say that most of our players like to play semi-competitively, but, in my opinion, our community is quite friendly, helpful and forgiving to new players.

Our Standard, Modern and Legacy events cost €2 each, Draft costs €12,6 (but you can bring your own boosters and get €3,6 discount for each booster). Usual prizes for events are boosters. Usually everyone with 8 or more points gets a booster (in draft - everyone with 9 or more points), 1st place gets 2 or 3 boosters, and several boosters are given out at random.

Yes, Magic can get really expensive. But it doesn't have to be. You just have to choose your priorities and your way of playing. The cheapest (and, for a new player, probably most fun) way to play magic is casual kitchen-table gaming, as basically anything goes here and you can play with tons of fun cards that cost nearly nothing and you can get them for free (or for a very small fee) from older players. Too bad, at the moment we don't have a permanent location to come and play anytime, so you would need your own playgroup of friends if you wish to play this kind of Magic.

If you can spare €12,6 every week (or every other week, or once a month), you could try out Booster Draft, as it is quite a nice way to play in a tournament and expand your card collection at the same time. After several months of drafting you might even find that you can build your own Standard deck, or have enough cards to trade into it.

Standard decks might cost from ~€30 (usually monocolored red aggro decks are the cheapest, but at the moment Blue-White Heroic is a really strong and inexpensive deck) up to scary €250 if you go three colours and want some flashy creatures and planeswalkers. But the most expensive doesn't mean the best, so don't worry. The good part is that Standard decks are made from the newest cards that are easy to get for a new player. The bad part is that Standard decks tend to rotate, so you basically need a new deck every year - on the other hand, you don't get bored as you're constantly changing your deck and playstyle.

Modern and Legacy decks are more expensive and can go up to €1000 or even more, if it's Legacy. Though it's entirely possible to build something quite competitive for ~€100 or something. Though these decks could be for life. Because this and because of bigger price you should research well before starting building something, as you don't want to get stuck with something you don't like. Borrowing decks for a tourney or making proxies and testing with friends are quite smart things to do if you want to discover your deck-to-be.

I hope that someone else will tell you more about buying and selling cards.
I hope this will be useful, if you have any more questions, just ask.

--------------------
God damn me, jei mano komentarai bus trumpesni nei 300 žodžių.
+Quote Post
kefyras
rašyti 2015-01-13 13:59
Parašyta: #5

Easiest format to start playing is limited(draft or sealed), because you are given cards when you come to play and build deck on the spot. By the way new players friendly event - prerelease of new set is happening this weekend http://www.magicthegathering.lt/magic/disk...topic=9198&st=0.
+Quote Post
vytyts
rašyti 2015-01-13 14:15
Parašyta: #6

I think nobody mentioned cube format as some people play it
(dont know the situation about it now smile.gif ) ,but...
here you can read about it
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/...2/intro_to_cube
+Quote Post
Domantas
rašyti 2015-01-13 14:59
Parašyta: #7

Sielagaudys and ClockworkAlice have answered the questions regarding our community and I shall try to elaborate the general information.

Magic: the Gathering is an expensive game regardless of the format you choose to play (Standard, Modern, Legacy, Commander), however there are some slight differences regarding finances.

Standard decks are the cheapest because you can only use the newest cards which are easier to acquire than old rares, etc. and although you have to build a new deck with every rotation you can play in a few Standard seasons for a price of a one decent Legacy deck. What is more, due to the rotation, the metagame of Standard is often-changing, which is an appealing factor to some players. Lastly, Standard seems to be the best format for beginners because you do not lose a lot of money if you decide that MtG is not your cup of tea. N.B.! most Standard staples significantly decrease in price once they rotate as they are not usable in other formats.

The cost of Modern and Legacy decks is very similar, nevertheless, Legacy decks with blue are usually more expensive. Modern features a bigger card pool than Standard and is not affected by rotation. Consequently, even though a Modern deck usually costs more than a Standard alternative, you can play it for a longer period of time (for as long as you want, unless 1.) the deck becomes too oppressive in the worldwide metagame and some cards get banned to weaken it which may sometimes cripple the deck beyond being playable or 2.) a new card is introduced which ruins your main game plan and you have to get a new deck in order to keep up). Lastly, most of the format's staples are used in many decks which means that you can gain access to a wider assortment with a relatively small collection (e.g. you would not have to spend a lot to have access to a R.gif G.gif B.gif and G.gif W.gif B.gif decks after finishing one of them). N.B.! Most of Modern's staples are staples of Legacy as well, thus it is a lot easier to convert from Modern to Legacy or vice versa than it is to play in Standard and any of the previously mentioned formats.

Legacy is a format with a wider card pool than Modern which makes it more elaborated but also more expensive format. It is also unaffected by rotation and the politics of format regulation is that the format adapts to new cards and cards get banned only as the last resort. Consequently, you do not have to worry that your rather expensive deck will become unplayable. Also, most of the old staples spike in price in time. What is more, it is the most interactive, arguably the most entertaining and skill-intensive format of the three. N.B.! There are enough players here in Vilnius for sanctioned Legacy tournaments to happen but the metagame is rather different from the one of countries with bigger playgroups and it is a lot more stagnant than in Standard or Modern. For example, I have only played five different decks since 2009 which means that I have not brought a huge diversity to our local metagame and many other players did the same. Nevertheless, you are not prohibited from playing more different decks if you like, but, as I have wrote earlier, this is a skill-intensive format, thus a huge investment into victory is practice. Also, Legacy is a very interesting and interactive format and it rarely gets boring to play against the same deck (unless you often lose to it) and our metagame is not that un-elaborated!

Being a casual format, Commander can be cheaper than Standard and Modern and is often cheaper than Legacy as you do not have to assemble a specific list to compete. This format is very playable in Kaunas while in Vilnius we treat it as a casual format and get together for a multiplayer every once in a while. It becomes a lot more playable in Summer do to having more free time.

Also, some people here recommended Draft. I personally dislike this format because of the random factor of playing with a pile of cards you managed to assemble, facing similarly unidentifiable piles of cards, spending a fair amount of money for cards that you will hardly use elsewhere (unless you are also playing Standard). However, if you like randomness and diversity, you might consider this format. The upside for a new player might be that s/he does not have to build a specific deck to compete.

Regarding the buying, we usually sell cards for cheaper prices than you would have to pay when ordering online, but the local assortment is fairly scarce, thus ordering is inevitable.

P.S. You are free to play more than one format as the tournaments are being held on separate days.

Šią žinutę keitė Domantas, 2015-01-13 15:19

--------------------
Punishing Jund | Turgelis
The variety in Legacy is a variety of strategy. These Legacy decks play differently, not because of the cards you are using, but because of the thought process and lines of play that make each of them effective. - Taldier (MTGS)
+Quote Post
Vetur
rašyti 2015-01-13 15:22
Parašyta: #8

;

Thanks everyone for the info smile.gif

I actually really wanted to participate in the prerelease, but unfortunately I will not be in Lithuania this weekend. But for Dragon of Tarkir, most probably. I am less interested in standard and more in limited and commander, but it is still good to know. I am probably also more oriented towards casual than competitive, since fun is my main goal.

So anyway, I hope you guys will enjoy the prerelease, and I will be sticking around to join a draft or sometime soon. i hope you won't mind my lack of Lithuanian smile.gif
+Quote Post
Cinkas
rašyti 2015-01-13 21:24
Parašyta: #9

Iš kur: Wilno :)

QUOTE(Vetur @ 2015-01-13 15:22) *

. i hope you won't mind my lack of Lithuanian smile.gif

99% of LT Magic players will communicate in english with ease, i think. Be cool about that smile.gif

--------------------
Cinkas / Zn
+Quote Post
Vetur
rašyti 2015-01-13 23:07
Parašyta: #10

;

QUOTE(Cinkas @ 2015-01-13 21:24) *

99% of LT Magic players will communicate in english with ease, i think. Be cool about that smile.gif

Great smile.gif
Another question I though of - I know that you have weekly events, but often is there a draft or even sealed event?
+Quote Post
sielagaudys
rašyti 2015-01-13 23:12
Parašyta: #11

The Banbringer

QUOTE(Vetur @ 2015-01-13 23:07) *

Great smile.gif
Another question I though of - I know that you have weekly events, but often is there a draft or even sealed event?

Drafts occur every Monday. Plus some release drafts, but rarely. There's Cube drafting too.
Sealed... only Pre-release here.

--------------------
Mano mainai
Mano pirkinukai
Anot Alekso (2016), „The only thing I'm obssesed with more than deck pimping is my dog.“
Level 2 Judge. Want to become a Judge? Have any MtG/tournament-related questions? Don't hesitate to message me!
+Quote Post
SteadfastBro
rašyti 2015-03-16 18:54
Parašyta: #12

Hi Vetur,

I'm new here too. Will you come this Saturday for a Pre-Release?

PS: I'm also not Lithuanian, but feeling at home biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Vetur @ 2015-01-13 23:07) *

Great smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
"Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."
"He hasn't returned to the Cloud Forest. But I can still sense his calming presence."
MTGO: vroa2k9
+Quote Post
Alan
rašyti 2019-05-15 05:40
Parašyta: #13

Lithuania is a pretty open and tolerant country, if you are from West.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Nariai skaitantys šią temą: 1. (svečių: 1, užsislaptinusių narių: 0)
0 nariai:

- Lo-Fi Versija Dabar yra: 2021-12-02 18:31

Į viršų